If like me and my eight year old son you have been watching the BBC’s Blue Planet 2 series with wonder and awe, you may well feel compelled to explore the amazing underwater world beneath the surface of the waves. The Bell family have now literally reached the stage where we are sitting on the sofa with the fire lit and the central heating on full blast, Angus and I in swimming trunks, with flippers and snorkels close by, just in case David needs an extra pair of tiny hands! We’ve been absolutely enthralled by these magnificent creatures from the deep… and plastic bottles are now rated on the hate list even higher than his big sister, and let me tell you that’s well beyond loathing. Now I can’t reveal the exact location of the stunning and secret locations, but if you feel inspired like the Bells here are my top five aquatic wonderlands available through Turquoise…
1. The Islands of Tahiti – discover the remote atolls and abundant tropical fish in the far flung Tuamotu Islands.
2. The Maldives – stunning house reef and manta rays galore alongside a brilliant turtle nesting programme at Six Senses Laamu.
3. Fiji – astonishing multi-coloured coral reefs in the world’s 4th largest reef, the Astrolabe.
4. South Africa – the whale-watching capital of South Africa, Hermanus, is also great for dolphin spotting.
5. Australia’s Great Barrier Reef – explore one of the most impressive ecosystems on our planet.