Does the holiday season hold a degree of trepidation as well as excitement for you? How long are the children off for? Have I got the energy? What should you do to avoid the “I am bored” claims arising every few minutes and how do you give the young ones the holiday they and you deserve? Well – help is a hand. We have had nearly nine years of experience in making kids happy and you relaxed!
Turquoise specialises in long haul familly holidays and we are in the process of launching a sub brand called “Little Blue” such has been the level of interest and demand from parents seeking our advice. We have some simple golden rules which seem to work brillantly when planning a long haul familly holiday.
1. Transport – It’s the little things that make the difference with a long haul holiday such as night time flights which enable you all to get some sleep, chauffeur driven cars to the airport (this often works out cheaper than car-parking at Heathrow) and obtaining airport lounge passes, even if you are flying in economy class.
2. Value for money – I would not be foolish enough to tell you that taking the familly any where is cheap. However, having someone guide you through the minefield of discounts and supplements to make your hard earned ££££ work better for you is something our clients really appreciate and you will be surprised how far your money will go.
3. Entertainment – For the kids that is! You love them, they love you but let’s be honest, they are growing up and they want independence but you want them to be safe. The key is letting them do the exciting stuff in a controlled environment.
4. Weather – We give you the best advice as to what to expect based on recent climate data. That said, the weather is the one thing that no-one can control, but good advice is the best you can plan for – too hot with kids especially high humidity is as bad as wet cold weather.
5. Place – wherever you go, your familly must be welcome, but we are great believers in offering suitable accommodation where boundaries are maintained. Our hotels cater to a mixed clientele – children are welcome but adults must have their time as well ..the experience gained from an exotic dinner abroad has great educational lessons for the road ahead.
So now you know how we operate, where should you go? Somewhere that gives all year round weather and delivers every time in terms of service, is Mauritius. The flight is not too onerous and what you may find surprising is the cost. With sterling performing more like Captain Nemo’s submarine on a voyage to the depths, you will find the Eurozone destinations frighteningly expensive whilst by contrast, some very aggressive pricing from the Mauritian hotels makes this destination very affordable.
One of our favourites is Le Telfair on the southern tip of the island. On arrival, you will be whisked by private car to the hotel in under two hours. Le Telfair has a ‘colonial elegance’ charm but what makes it so exciting for our families is the Kids Club ‘Timomo & Friends’ which caters for children from 2 years. Its real forte is active boys – they can have an introduction to golf on the hotel’s own championship golf course, take advantage of the myriad of watersports available from sailing and windsurfing to kite surfing and water skiing – younger ones can enjoy pony treks along the beach and crab fishing as well as a mass of arts and crafts to put The Davenies school art room out of business! What is even more exciting is that the Kids Club is open until 10pm!!!! Perhaps you will find your children in bed after you!
Come and talk to us. Most of us also have children, including loud noisy ones so we know what it’s like to keep them entertained. Come and see us in the Old Town or visit us on-line.