- The first weddings comprised of a groom taking his bride by capture. He would take her somewhere hidden away so her
relatives and villagers couldn’t find them. There they stayed for one moon phase and drank mead, a wine make from honey, to make them more amorous. Thus, the word “honeymoon” was born. Today, the honeymoon is the time when the couple can get away for awhile.
- 19% of all Engagements occur in December
- Destination Weddings Now Account for 15% of all weddings & are growing rapidly.
- Average number of Guests for Destination Weddings is 56
- The wedding cake has always played an important part in the wedding. Ancient Romans broke a cake over the bride’s head to symbolize fertility or abundance. Many other cultures dropped wheat, flour or cake on the bride’s head, and then ate the crumbs for good luck. The early British baked baskets of dry crackers and every guest took one home after the wedding. In medieval times, guests brought small cakes and piled them on a table. The bride and groom then attempted to kiss over the cakes. Eventually, a young baker decided to put all the cakes together and cover them with frosting, thus the tiered wedding cake was born.
- Average Age for New Brides 27 & 29 for Grooms
- 35% of Destination Weddings are Beach Weddings
- 21% are Cruise Ship Weddings and Growing the Fastest
- Most Secluded & Romantic Honeymoon Destinations – Tahiti & Fij